[ZDP] Réf. : [ZDP] DC's Zope Documentation Plan

kamon.ayeva@bureauveritas.com kamon.ayeva@bureauveritas.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 13:01:34 +0100

Hi Amos,

It is good we can now work together to push things forward to ensure Zope's
success.

Here are my comments on the plan document:

I think the Zope documentation effort needs to concentrate on serving the
needs of the different constituencies that the document correctly
presented. There should be an "Area" on Zope.org or zdp.zope.org that
addresses each of them. That's actually coming to my mind from what exists
on Lotus or IBM sites.

>> Prospective Zope users & developers
A first step to address this was the Zope.org front door.
This can become a real area (Newcomers area ?) with the following
information (more Marketing oriented):
What is Zope ?
Why Zope ?
Advantages of an Open Source App server
Zope compared to others
etc...

>> Zope users
Using Zope area.
The ZDP community currently addresses this one.

>> Zope developers
Developing with Zope area.
The ZDP community currently tries to address this one.
What is missing ? Zope Best Practices Guide.

>> Zope hackers
Hacking Zope area.
A chapter in Zope Best Practices Guide should help understand the Zope core
API's, and how/where to define a new API, ...
In addition to what you say in your document, they should be able to
document and publish their modules documentation on the site.
We currently have an example with the ongoing MCrypto/SSL. Though it is not
yet a stable release, some ongoing documentation would help more people
test it and contribute to it.

>> Zope administrators
Administration and Performance area.

>> ZDP
I think we all see ZDP as the interface for all documentation efforts and
initiatives.
So I understand the ZDP active members will be the interface between the DC
Portland office and the Zope Community.

Finally, I think the current projects are good, but there is also the
challenge of organizing all these efforts for no duplication and
effectiveness.
My proposal is to have Zope.org or a subsite of Zope.org (re-)organized to
have the different documentation areas I cited (they can also be seen as
different projects), and fill these areas integrating what is currently
been done in ZDP, in DC and from other efforts.

Best regards,
Kamon