[ZDP] DC's Zope Documentation Plan

Amos Latteier Amos@digicool.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:40:46 -0500

Tom Deprez wrote:

> New Office? Woow, when thus Zope goes to WallStreet? Let me know!

If you've ever been to Portland, Oregon you'd know that it's a far cry
from Wall street ;-)

> I think there should also be a sort of guideline
> documentation, which gives
> some guidelines on chosing how to develep a certain project.
> eg. for this
> sort of projects you can better use ZODB then SQL; You can go
> 2 ways, use a
> Python method or DTML,... but in this case you better use,
> because...; etc.
> Telling the Pro& Cons of a certain implementation...

This sounds like a good idea. I think that it would be hard to sit down
and capture all this kind of Zope wisdom. Perhaps we could have some
examples that describe how a site was built and why specific choices
were made along the way.

> Also a doc which shows the differences on how to handle
> things, eg you can
> achieve this through a python method (with code as example)
> or you stay in
> DTML (with code as example)

Maybe we need a sort of annotated cookbook which describes techniques
and the circumstances under which they might be useful.

> At a later stage ZDP wants to be the central place of all
> kind of sorts of
> Zope documentation... ZDP must stand for THE place when you need
> information on Zope. (A direct URL from Zope to ZDP? So that
> every person
> who doesn't find the right information on site, can go
> directly searching
> ZDP) Thus then we need to get as much as documentation (Is
> this taken to
> high?).

Maybe we should move the official documentation to the ZDP site. Then
the ZDP would be the only place where Zope documentation existed.

Thanks for your feedback!

-Amos

--
Amos Latteier         mailto:amos@digicool.com