[ZDP] ZDP & Zope.org

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Sat, 08 Jul 2000 03:31:37 +0200

Hi mindlace !

> > Everyone can get a root account to do make changes to the parts of the
> > site that needs work. It can happen that people break something along
> > the line, so I just ask them to check everytime to see that the most important
> > pages still work. Whatever is still broken will soon be found and corrected
> > anyway. It can't be much though, because the ZDP-Tools are highly modularized.
>
> I don't think this approach will work for Zope.org, for a number of
> reasons, organizational and technological.  The organizational reason is
> that I simply cannot allow any one of the 9000 or so members to get root
> access as they ask.
>
> Right now, I feel that a system where people gain priveledges as they
> display the requisite characteristics, coupled with 'oversight' from
> other members of the community, would best serve the needs of zope.org.

That's sufficient.

> > It is hard to find them, but if you click long enough on the search,
> > you'll find them here:
>
> Hm.  I didn't find them on the regular product page.  It wasn't
> catalogued: it is now.

Thanks.

> Not to mention the fact that this method enhances transparency.  Is
> there a new release of the ZDP-Tools as you make changes to them?  If I
> download ZDP-Tools 0.2 am I getting the same ZDP-Tools as run on
> zdp.zope.org?  I need to answer these questions affirmatively with
> zope.org.

The ZDP-Tools have changed a little bit since 0.2. I can send you an
update if you like.

> There's no way for me to make these issues go away.  Therefore, while
> Product development can be open, it cannot be on-the-spot.  This has a
> consequence that if the ZDP feels that the work can only be done with an
> "in situ" development style, then the ZDP will be unable to merge with
> the rest of zope.org.

Then we can only do the second best thing: content syndication
This already has to be done with zope-treasures.com anyway. I have
information on this from Beehive, and will start working on this
soon for the ZDP site.

Best regards,

Maik Röder

--
"The computing future is based  on "cyberbodies" - self-contained,
neatly-ordered,  beautifully-laid-out  collections of information,