[ZDP] Re: [Zope] Links between DTML language and Python language...

Oleg Broytmann phd@phd.russ.ru
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 08:32:36 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, QUIN Frédéric wrote:
> In the last mail I sent, I explaint my problem to know if a specified item is
> in a list. Oleg helped me and said that : "Learn Python". Now, I wonder if
> there are strong links between DTML language and Python language. Because, in
> the DTML language reference, you can find nothing meaning that.

   The link is simple and strong: what you have in double qoutes is just a
python code! (with some security limitations):
   <dtml-var "here_comes_some_python_call()"> or, for example,
   <dtml-call "REQUEST.set('variableu', another_call())">

> Sometimes, I see functions used in DTML which are not referenced in DTML
> language reference. I guess that it's Python functions. So, I ask the question

   Most of the time they are Zope functions - methods, defined in Zope
classess. They are poorly documente 'cause real Hackers Have No Time to
Document! :)
   Your real source of information is Zope source code. That's another
strong reason to learn Python.

----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd@phd.russ.ru