[ZDP] ZDPTools questions

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Mon, 06 Mar 2000 00:42:39 +0100

Hi !

Rik Hoekstra wrote:
> I have taken up my task of maintaining ZSnippets a bit more serious. For the
> time being I have taken maintainership of all folders. This seemed me to be
> clearer than having six different editors for one category. If anyone feels
> he should be maintainer of a specific section, please take it back ;<:)

SnippetFolders are just hulls for the Snippets, so it is ok for
the ZSnippet Maintainer to take ownership of them.

> Maik, a few questions:
>
> - Is there a possibility that I get an email message whenever a Snippet is
> added (not that traffic is very high now, but who knows?). Does ZDP Tools
> have a provision for this, or does that involve altering the ZClass?

I have just hacked in a sendmail with mailhost, which could be implemented
much better, but for now it is working. I just had to  change the smtp server
in a newly created Mailhost, as described in http://www.codeit.com/codeit/support.html
"How do I configure a MailHost to send mail? Set the SMTP host to mail.codeit.com.
All other values can stay at the default."

The sendmail tag is now in manage_addSnippet method at the end. I have
already used this as a snippet which should have been sent to you :-)

> - There is a provision for category and for keywords in the Snippets.

Also note that these keywords and categorys are inherited from DocumentFolder,
which is the ZClass from which all other ZClasses inherit too.

> Shouldn't we get a (more or less) standard keyword list, now that the site
> is just beginning. 'Controlling' will enable us to do some consitent
> searching/(Catalog based)browsing instead of a myriad of keywords scattered
> over the place, which will only make searching more confused.
> A beginning of a proposal (from the top of my head):
> - dtml (content related to dtml)
>   * syntax
>   * variables
> - tags (dtml tags explained etc)
> - security (item related to security)
>   * roles
>   * permissions
>   * passwords
>   * authenticated_user
> - externalmethods
> - pythonmethods
>   * argumentpassing
> - contentmanipulation (manipulating content of dtml documents for example)
> - pythonproducts
> - acquisition
> - zsqlmethods

A "Search for pythonmethods" may find all relevant pages, but sometimes there
may be too many hits. I such a case a search using keywords/categories can be
useful. For example a search for "What's related search" or "More about
pythonmethods" would use the keywords/category of the current object to search
for other objects with the same keywords/category.

> Of course, this list is far from complete, but the idea is clear I think. Do
> you think this is the way to go

Sounds ok. This should perhaps be added to the ZDP Style Guide.

Greetings,

Maik Röder