[ZDP] ZDPFAQ questions

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 09:42:02 +0100

Hi Mark,

(our mailserver was in maintenance yesterday, that's why I only respond
today)

> > What is the role of the container here. The container should know what
> > to display.
>
> The Container is the FAQ Section. Unfortunately the FAQ Section also
> contains the View, but I see no alternative right now, as I don't
> want to introduce more ZClasses for the View.

OK, but I think the solution still has to do with this (see below)

> > > When more orders are possible you can either define new views or
> > > define new order properties.
> > >

> > Hm, perhaps, but then the Model is not so dumb.
>
> The Model is dumb in the sense that it does only hold the information,
> but that it does not know what to do with this information, or how
> to manipulate intself based on this information.

OK.

> > The bothersome part is to add a objectids. And information is replicated
> > (which I do not like).
>
> I also think that replication of information is to be avoided. This
> only introduces unnecessary complexity.
>
> > Hm, still not sure.
>
> We may consider creating a ZClass called "Orderer" or something like this,
> which would act like a Controller on the Model. The View would be separated
> naturally. This ZClass would be used to order anything that has an order
> property. This way we could handle the generic case.

This leaves alone that ordering information has to have something to
order. And the thing to order has to either to be an object property or
some sort of reference to objects.

> What do you think ?

Thinking about it yesterday in the rain and storm on my bike ;-(, I
thought (well all sorts of things I can't repeat here, having to do with
rain and storm) that it would be most proper to use the local
propertysheet for ordering information (do the ZDP Classes have this -
yes I think so). In this way they are so to say 'instance properties'
(to be changed by manage_changeProperties sec) as opposed to the class
instance properties, which are precoded.
You would still have to set the property at class instantiation, but
further on it could be managed from the container.

This could still be ordered by an orderer, which is useful on all
accounts.

Does this make sense?

Rik