[ZDP] A Parallel Intro to Zope/Python/OO for Developers

Tom Deprez tom.deprez@uz.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 17:55:47 +0100

At 11:50 07/03/2000 -0800, Loren Stafford wrote:
>Tom Deprez, et al.
>
>I, like similar to you, am struggling to develop my first Zope products.
>Also like you and many others, tho I know programming and the web, I know it
>from a different point of view (in my case Perl/CGI).
>
>I see the need for a document different from any other that exists (that I
>know of), that guides the experienced programmer thru the confusing task of
>learning Python AND Zope AND OO AND persistent programming all at once (or
>in parallel) toward the goal of becoming a capable Zope programmer. It might
>be titled "A Parallel Intro to Zope/Python/OO for Developers".
>
>I'm taking mental notes as I go along about the content of this document.
>For example:
>
>1. Zope source. Explain the structure of Zope source. At the same time
>explain (or point to) the Python documentation on modules, packages,
>namespaces, etc. (e.g. http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/node8.html)
>
>2. Persistence. Start with the Python examples of persistent objects
>(there's a good discussion in Lutz, Programming Python), then develop to the
>full Zope concept of persistence. Pointers to literature and research on
>persistence.
>
>3. OO programming. Emphasize the special method names of Python
>(http://www.python.org/doc/current/ref/specialnames.html), then show how
>these are used by Zope to (more or less transparently) implement
>persistence. It's the less transparent parts that the newbie developer
>stumbles over.
>
>4. Debugging.
>
>...etc.
>
>I bring this up in the hopes that you and others can determine how to best
>work this kind of info into the scope of ZDP. I see it as a separate
>document, but a "glue" doc -- one that contains lots of pointers into
>existing (or soon to exist) documents, glueing Python, Zoope and persistent
>OO together.
>
>What do you think?

Hi Loren,

Yes, sounds all needed. Unfortunately, this information can only be given
by someone who already knows this stuff. And, thus I'm afraid thay
we won't see this kind information that quickly.

Tom.