[ZDP] On possible implementations of topic, subtopic, category and keyword inZDPZDP

David Kankiewicz kankie@thegrid.net
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 12:44:36 -0800

Maik Roeder wrote:

> Hi !

Hi,

just a alterative implementation, another view of a hierarchy. (use my
terminology, if it makes more sense. Category/Subject?)

I've been modeling a large Web Catalog based on something similiar to
what I have below.

to copy your layout:

                  Usage |       specifity        | examples
------------------------+------------------------+-------------------
1. Category   top level | Whole Subject domains  | Zope, Python
2. Subject   everywhere | Defined subject        | Install, ZCat
3. Topic    acquireable | Boardly defined Topics | acquisition, DTML
------------------------+------------------------+-------------------

The behavior of these are as follows:

Categories act as high level entry points (Probably not needed in the
case of Zope and Python, maybe if you needed developer, user). and a
place to put 'topic's...

Subjects are nothing special except when a they are given a matching
topic, defined as a 'string' containing the 'id' (has to be different,
waaahhh) of the topic, they would then list off all the matching
Categories/Subjects which contain entries under that topic:'some-topic'.

Topics are, as noted above, really weird! They act as if they are a type
of subtopic in every Subject or folder below where they are defined.
They would show up in any of the subjects below them, of course you can
allows just place them in the subject and have them only show up in only
that subject. They would only show themselves if something is in them...

So an example might be (again, using your example as a base):