[ZDP] Portals

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Sun, 07 May 2000 22:45:48 +0200

Hi Rik !

Rik Hoekstra wrote:

> [Been away for one (1) week and have to catch up with all sorts of Portals,
> new layout etcetcetc. ZDP seems to be catching on ... ;-)]

Yes, but we need to improve the tools, open up the portal and
make some publicity to make it happen.

> >Another brain dump...
> >
> >This time on ideas for the Portal Structure:
> >
> >+ - Introduction (newbies, evaluators, the like)
> >|
> >+ - Users
> >|   |
> >|   + - DTML (stuff at the management interface level)
>
>       + - Using Zope (guides per component, ZBook, Tutorials). Basic stuff
> (hm this should probably be first. But DTML should go separate).

Guides per component go separate. ZBook and Tutorials are going to
be pointed to by the portal host, editor, quality manager or whatever.
So, this is first anyhow.

> >That's what the levels of Zope feel like to me. ZClasses and their ilk are
> >tricky 'cos I'm not sure whether they belong under users or developers.
>
> Definitely Developers, I'd say. Developing Products should have subsections
> (and a general design section)

I have added a Subject "Development" with a Topic "Products" for Developers.

> > Maybe
> >they need to be in both portals?
>
> Nope. I tend to think ZClasses are too difficult for Users (but who are
> users? And is ZOpe meant for them)

It is important to make a group for people who just want to concentrate
on the Zope basics. Many things would be too early to learn for Newbies.
The less they need to learn to get to productivity, the less steep is
going to be the learning curve and the less questions they are going
to ask. At least in theory ;-)

Cheers,

Maik