[ZDP] CSS

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Mon, 08 May 2000 21:27:33 +0200

Hi Chris !

Chris Withers wrote:

> > I don't think we should use Stylesheets. We have had some problems
> > with stylesheets before, and I don't want to go through that again.
>
> Hmmm, what sort of problems?

A table did not correctly display in Internet Explorer, and it took
rather long to find out what the problem was.

> I'm not recommending full-blown bells and whistles CSS, just the same as
> you'd find on www.zope.org and zope.nipltd.com. It's just to sort out
> the fonts and make some of the colouring a bit nicer. A good test for
> any CSS site is to design it, then check it in Netscape 4, IE 4 and
> finally Netscape 3.

OK

> > The ZDP site should be as simple as possible, and load as fast as possible.
> > CSS would only mean some more precious bytes that need to be loaded.
>
> Not really, the CSS I use comes in at 1215 bytes. It could be cached,
> and besides, it's much smaller than any of the bitmaps on the site ;-)

OK

> > I wish each page would load under one second to make surfing the
> > site really swift.
>
> Sorry, this already doesn't happen. It's not my connection either, I get
> the page header (with the mole ;-) and then wait while the rest
> arrives...

I said, "I wish". I have sped it up a little bit by making the Portal
stuff a separate table.

> The usability of a site, particularly one centered on documentation, is
> largely dependent on its look and feel. The main reason _I_ don't use
> ZDP to find my documentation yet is 'cos it's not presented in a way
> that I find easy to read and navigate.

Ok, then it will have to be done with CSS.

> That may sound harsh but I'm pretty sure I'm just being honest :-S

That's what peer review is good for. I am not an expert in CSS,
but what I hear from you and Stefan sounds good.

> Hope I can help in some way...

Thanks, you can make the necessary changes if you like.

Greetings,

Maik Röder