[ZDP] Some remarks about the portal design(s)

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Tue, 09 May 2000 18:47:29 +0200

Hi Rik !

Rik Hoekstra wrote:
> - THere is no login button/link

I'd just wait for LoginManager to do that.

> - The separation between the yahoo-like portal things and the
> ZDP-projects lower on the page is a bit strange.

Right. I am still experimentin with this.

> Moreover it is not clear what is what, and why it is there.

I have tried to make this absolutely clear by changing the headers
to always say so. This may also seem strange, but for the people
who are new to this stuff it will be helpful. Example from

http://zdp.zope.org/portals/users/dtml

"All Resources and Links relating to the Subject "DTML" and all Topics for Users"

> I think a link with a little
> explanation is more in the spirit of the homepage. Now we have like five
> different links to DTML or DTML related items on one page. No user who
> doesn't know what he's looking for (or what ZQR, ZSnippets etc mean)
> will be able to find easily what he's looking for.

I want to remove the FAQ, ZQR and Snippets from the main page once I this
stuff is integrated. I want the visitors of the ZDP site to find what they
expect to find in a way they are used to, at least for the time being.

> - The members portal should give an 'overview at a glance' of what
> changed at the zdp site and where to find it

I have deactivated this feature, because of too many changes. I need
to work on this later.

> - While I really like the direct search options, they are not always on
> topic (like searching on Zope.org for projects in the Members portal).

They are generically on topic. I want to have user defined searches as
well, but this it for now.

> It would be even nicer to have a digest mode, which searches more
> machines at once and give a ranked result list. I know this is a lot of
> work, but it's only an idea

I know of such search engines, but I'll rather wait for a Product that
someone else may develop :-)

> Any reason why the searchable mailinglist archives are not included (in
> the hacker, developer etc portals) in the automatic searches? Chris,
> does this sound like a good idea.

Well, I have included egroups links inside Topics. Should we allow
that in Subjects and Portals as well ?

The developers Topics also have this:

http://zdp.zope.org/portals/developers/development/products

Greetings,