[ZDP] Itamar's Draft

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Wed, 10 May 2000 11:34:34 +0200

Hi Tom !

Tom Deprez wrote:
> Nope, Itamar hasn't written a HowTO of this for zope.org.
> He posted it directly to ZDP so that it could be placed on ZDP.

OK, if he donated it, this is something different.

> He would do it himself, but he didn't because he wasn't sure
> how to do it.

So, we are in need of a document explaing just that, which we
can send to people who would contribute but don't know how.

> That's why he posted it on the ZDP-list. And since no one
> else put it on the ZDP, I wanted to do it myself.

Ok.

> I UNDERSTAND that not all documentation will be on ZDP, but if
> people contribute and don't know how to put it on ZDP, is this then a
> reason not to put it on the ZDP?

You are right, it should be integrated in the ZDP site. The question
is just whether we should split the document and put it in the
FAQ or link to it when we make a draft for ZBook, or a Howto. With
"link" I mean to have it display in some Portal.

> Do you think they ever want to write some documentation ?
> And isn't this the first thing ZDP wants to do? Offer all
> sorts of documentation and links to documentation?

Writing documentation is one thing, and we really need writers.
Supporting documentation by keeping it up to date and to make
it better over time is another thing. That's the job of the
Reviewers and Approvers.

> I'm sorry if I sound annoyed here, it is really not the intention.
> I only don't want that contributions to ZDP are wasted.

It was important that we discussed this issue, because it revealed
that our workflow is not sorted out yet. We can set up the next
steps to solve this problem:

1. We need a document describing how to make contributions to ZDP
2. We need a document describing how contributions should be
   integrated in the ZDP

I remember you have written something on the first point, maybe
you can adopt it to the new situation of making drafts available
via the Topics.

The second point needs to be discussed.

Greetings,

Maik Röder

--
Open Source is "about being able to work together with people you've
never  met, on projects that  are in  a constant state  of flux,  on