[ZDP] BackTalk to Document Zope Developer's Guide (2.4 edition)/Components and Interfaces

nobody@nowhere.com nobody@nowhere.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:44:16 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZDG/current/ComponentsAndInterfaces.stx#2-2

---------------

    Here is a very simple component that says hello.  Like all components,
    this one generally consists of two pieces, an interface, and an
    implementation::

      from Interface import Base

      class Hello(Base):
          """ The Hello interface provides greetings. """

          def hello(self, name):
              """ Say hello to the name """

      class HelloComponent:

          __implements__ = Hello

          def hello(self, name):
              return "hello %s!" % name

      % Chris Gray - Aug. 23, 2002 12:44 pm:
       This information and these sorts of examples as presented here by themselves are all but useless to someone
       very new to Zope development. Where do these classes go? How do I install them in Zope? How do you
       instantiate the classes? How do you access the instantiations? How can I experiment with this code? You seem
       to be presenting all the high-level information without any practical information on how you actually put it
       to use. The equivalent would be a beginner's book on Python that assumed you would read the source code for
       the interpreter to discover how to invoke it. It seems to me there is a large gap between what you would
       learn from the Zope Book and what you need to make use of the information presented here.