[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Using Zope

nobody@nowhere.com nobody@nowhere.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:37:28 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/UsingZope.stx#2-42

---------------

    To change your login select *Logout* from the top frame of the
    management interface. You will be prompted to login again. To
    change logins, enter a new user name and password.

      % Anonymous User - May 19, 2002 1:25 pm:
       I selected logout and 3 times it asked for a login username and password. I had previously added a test user
       named bob, password bob. I entered this and the login appeared 3 times and in the end it didn't log me in. I
       have to close my browser and restart to get back in, and only then would it automatically log me in as my
       manager account, without prompting me for a password. I still cannot log in as bob.

      % Anonymous User - June 12, 2002 10:49 pm:
       The same appears to be happening for me. The client side script that brings up the login window is doing so
       before a refresh has gone through to perform the logout operation (at least that seems to be what's going
       on).

      % Anonymous User - June 12, 2002 10:50 pm:
       I just posted that I'm having the same problem. I should note that I'm using the latest version of IE6 on
       windows xp.

      % Anonymous User - June 15, 2002 10:16 am:
       Same here, but it seems to help to cancel the re-login first.
       Furthermore after a successfull re-login the old user is mentioned in the upper frame.

      % Anonymous User - June 19, 2002 11:25 am:
       Im also using windows xp, i canceled the first re-login and the closed the explorer instance, then i had to
       delete the historial and temporary internet files (menu tools->internet options) to log as a different user.
       Seems this has to do with windows xp dealing by its own with the "user cache".

      % Anonymous User - July 3, 2002 1:06 am:
       All you have to do is logout, then put the cursor in the location bar and hit enter on the /manage url - when
       the box pops up asking for a login and password, type in the new ones.

      % Anonymous User - July 10, 2002 1:00 pm:
       I have been stepping through this tutorial using Mozilla and Opera running on my linux box  (Mandrake 8.2).
       I experienced exactly the same behavior that is described in the messages above.
       As an experiment, I created a new user in Mozilla and then went over to Opera
       to try to login as the new user. When I typed in the /manage URL and pressed <enter> I found myself logged in
       as the new user with no prompt for a password.

      % mcdonc - July 10, 2002 2:01 pm:
       I highly doubt that this happened exactly as you describe.

       Try this:

       close mozilla (all windows)
       close opera (all windows)

       1. open mozilla and visit /manage
       2. log in as an existing manager user
       3. create a new account
       4. open opera and visit /manage
       5. log in as the newly created user.

       If at step 4 you are logged in as the user that you created in step 3, the world has finally ended, the
       milennium has come, and we've got larger things to worry about. ;-)

      % Anonymous User - Aug. 1, 2002 3:07 pm:
       I'd note that if I've logged in as Emergency User in a browser, my experience has been that I cannot log in
       on that browser as a regular user - whether I touch any of the acl_user entries or not. This distinction is
       otherwise undocumented, and for new users is a sufficient show-stopper to lead many to uninstall Zope if they
       can't find a clear answer.
       A quick observation - the answers given in the June 15 and July 3 messages don't work with my system - I need
       another browser to actually log in as a regular user. From my perspective, if the solutions are this
       inconsistent, then Zope itself needs design work on this point - urgently.

      % Anonymous User - Aug. 13, 2002 2:36 am:
       Windows 2000 user, Netscape 4.7. I hit the Logout button, and Netscape popped an "authenticate" box. I tried
       logging in here, since that seemed like the obvious thing to do, but received "Authentication Failure". Finally
       I hit cancel, and Zope gave me the message "You have Logged out". I was then able to log in with the new
       user.

      % Anonymous User - Aug. 26, 2002 3:37 pm:
       "Changing Logins" isn't explicit enough could be interpreted either as "Changing Login Details" or "Login to
       Another Account" perhaps the latter would be a better title