[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Using Basic Zope Objects

nobody@nowhere.com nobody@nowhere.com
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:09:41 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/BasicObject.stx#3-48

---------------

      Congratulations!  You've just used Zope to create an HTML page.
      You can carry out the creation and editing in one
      step rather than two by using the *Add and Edit* button
      on the add page.

        % Anonymous User - Apr. 26, 2002 12:03 am:
         Didn't we just make a DTML page?

        % Anonymous User - Apr. 26, 2002 10:02 pm:
         While using the DTML input template, there is nothing 'D' about the example yet.

        % Anonymous User - June 25, 2002 2:13 am:
         Can anyone tell me what is the difference in Page Template and DTML template as in both the cases we pasted
         some HTML code?

        % Anonymous User - Sep. 8, 2002 5:32 pm:
         Hello? This is a huge oversight. The only reason I'm interested in Zope is its DTML type abilities. Someone
         forgot to write this section of the book.

        % mcdonc - Sep. 8, 2002 11:18 pm:
         What is a huge oversight? What section of the book are you looking for? Did you notice the two chapters of
         this book with "DTML" in their titles in the book's table of contents? Did you try to read those?

        % Anonymous User - Sep. 9, 2002 10:09 am:
         I, like most people I'll assume who are reading this book, have come here to find out what Zope is and what
         it does (and not so much the details of its interface). The heading of *this* section of the book is "Editing
         DTML Documents", leading me to believe there will be some coverage of that specific topic. From other
         comments, I know I'm not alone in that.
         What you're asking me to do (in jumping to the DTML chapters) is to already know what I'm looking for and go
         straight to it. Why would I be reading this book if I already knew that? I have started from the beginning in
         order to get educated about Zope. I've read this far and I am still waiting to figure out the meat of what
         Zope does. Other comments have indicated that other readers are having the same experience.
         The very essence of this great book commenting technology should be for the maintainers to take what readers
         are saying and improve the book so that it better meets the readers' needs. Is this not so? Perhaps the
         authors are so familiar with Zope that they cannot understand the perspective of people who only have a
         tenuous idea what the software is intended to facilitate.