[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Using Basic Zope Objects

nobody@nowhere.com nobody@nowhere.com
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:07:02 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/BasicObject.stx#2-70

---------------

    When you view this method, it calls the *objectValues* method on
    the root folder and this shows you a simple HTML list of all the
    objects in the root folder, as shown in [3-7].

      % Anonymous User - Aug. 2, 2002 9:45 am:
       The method objectValues(type-None) was described in API Reference Appendix B -> module ObjectManager.

       in the description, it mentions that this method accept ONE argument.
       But why in this example this doesn't accept any single element? and what is the difference?

       I must admit, I used to read JAVA API. But I'm confused reading this API reference.

       regards,
       H. Tan

      % hansa - Sep. 20, 2002 6:02 pm:
       This one argument has a defaut value ("=None"), which implies in python it is optional. Magic ;-) If given,
       parameter is either one string or a list of strings, the strings the names of object meta_types to be
       filtered. If omitted, ojbectValues() gives *all* objects in the ObjectManager. Folder derives from
       ObjectManager.

      % hansa - Sep. 20, 2002 6:06 pm:
       If it is a *method*. it is callable in other *contexts* than *root*, thats what methods are about, to be
       callable on different objects. The example gets shy here.