[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Advanced Zope Scripting

webmaster@zope.org webmaster@zope.org
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:29:43 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/ScriptingZope.stx#2-39

---------------

    You must have PIL installed for this example to work. See the
    "PythonWorks website":http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/index.htm
    for more information on PIL.  To use this code create an External
    Method named *makeThumbnail* that uses the *makeThumbnail*
    function in the *Thumbnail* module.

      % Anonymous User - June 17, 2002 10:35 am:
       How do I install PIL on a Windows Platform ?
       I think Zope for win has its own Python ???

      % Anonymous User - July 15, 2002 8:02 pm:
       (a) Download PIL Windows executable installation package for python 2.1:
       http://www.pythonware.com/downloads/py21-pil-1.1.2-20010910.exe. (b) Execute this to install PIL into
       c:\py21. (c) In the Zope bin folder (e.g. c:\Program Files\WebSite\bin) create folder lib\site-packages and
       copy or move contents of c:\py21 there. (d) In the bin folder create file PIL.pth containing two lines:
       lib/site-packages and lib/site-packages/DLLs. (e) Restart Zope. -VS

      % Anonymous User - Sep. 27, 2002 4:29 pm:
       July 15: CAVEAT: there are several Zopes and several PILs.
       Choose one where the python versions match!