[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Users and Security

webmaster at zope.org webmaster at zope.org
Fri Dec 5 14:16:15 EST 2003

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_5_edition/Security.stx#3-33

---------------

      It may be that you don't want to manage your user account
      through the web. This may be because you already have a user
      database, or perhaps you want to use other tools to maintain
      your account information. Zope allows you to use all sorts of
      authentication techniques with alternate user folders. You can
      find many alternate user folders on the Zope web site at
      *http://www.zope.org/Products/user_management*. At the time of
      this writing there are 19 contributed alternate user
      folders. Here is a sampling of some of the more popular
      alternative user folders available.

        LoginManager -- This is a flexible and powerful user folder that
        allows you to plug in your own authorization methods. For
        example, you can use LoginManager to authenticate from a
        database.

        etcUserFolder -- This user folder authenticates using standard
        Unix */etc/password* style files.

        LDAPAdapter -- This user folder allows you to authenticate from
        an LDAP server.

        NTUserFolder -- This user folder authenticates from NT user
        accounts. It only works if you are running Zope under Windows NT or
        Windows 2000.

        % Anonymous User - Apr. 25, 2002 4:56 am:
         I think there might be more than 19 products by now.

        % huima - Aug. 1, 2002 9:34 am:
         I Suggest that exUserFolder would be mentioned here, since it has been developed really nicely has different
         authentication modules and works in general really well. I usually use it when I need to have form based auth
         or authentication from Postgresql.

        % Anonymous User - Dec. 5, 2003 2:16 pm:
         How it works?
         I tried to use LoginManager with SQL Database but it doesn’t work.
         Doesn’t work  at all . What products should be installed before?
         Where is documentation ?