[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Using Zope

webmaster@zope.org webmaster@zope.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:00:28 -0500

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/UsingZope.stx#3-32

---------------

      Run the *start* script::

        $ ./start &

        % Anonymous User - Apr. 30, 2002 3:39 am:
         Hi
         Where do you find the start script?? ( Same question for the bat file in Windows)

         ola.engstrom@astrazeneca.com

        % Anonymous User - Apr. 30, 2002 10:10 am:
         in the "Zope-version-linux2-x86" dir

        % Anonymous User - May 8, 2002 10:53 am:
         start script is generated by the install script. If it is not there Zope might
         not be installed correctly.

        % Anonymous User - May 16, 2002 2:45 am:
         I think the key point here is how to start zope when a Zope...rpm package is installed, instead of a tar.gz
         package.

        % Anonymous User - May 17, 2002 9:28 pm:
         exactly.... how do you do this? I'm looking all over and I can't seem to find a way to start zope now that
         I've installed from an RPM

        % Anonymous User - May 18, 2002 7:26 am:
         Here on the debian (woody) there is an *init script* on /etc/init/zope that you can start like
         '/etc/init/zope start'. The /etc/init/zope scripts then runs
         a *shell script* called 'zopectl' (in /usr/sbin/zopectl). Zopectl then essentially starts a *python script*
         '/usr/sbin/zope-z2'. You can hook in anywhere. RPM might be slightly different though.

        % Anonymous User - June 25, 2002 6:35 pm:
         I'm on mandrake, installed from rpm, searched /etc and /usr for *start* *zope* and only thing I've found is
         this :
         /usr/share/zope/lib/python/Zope/__init__.py

         Which says it doesn't have the right permissions running as root and it didn't put it into the start up
         process for the next reboot. Am I missing something?
         Or have I got too much already?

        % Anonymous User - July 10, 2002 9:33 am:
         If you are using an RPM installed version of Zope you can find out where it put the start and stop scripts by
         doing 'rpm -ql | grep start' and 'rpm -ql | grep stop'
         The -ql parameters are for 'q'uery and 'l'ist (files in rpm, that is)

         The two above rpm commands should list exactly where to find the start and stop scripts...  hope that helps!

        % Anonymous User - Sep. 6, 2002 11:40 am:
         On SuSE, './start' (as root) works only after having set
         $ZOPEHOME/var to world-writable.

        % Anonymous User - Sep. 25, 2002 5:24 pm:
         zope is awesome but too hard to install and configure on linux, it should be more like the win version

        % Anonymous User - Sep. 26, 2002 2:40 pm:
         well, the command properly spelled shold be

           rpm -ql zope | grep start

          anyway, in my suse 8.0 I get /opt/zope/ZServer/medusa/start_medusa.pyc

         I suppose that the pyc is a python script, but I know nothing about phython.
         Somebody knows if this is the right script?

        % Anonymous User - Oct. 6, 2002 3:33 pm:
         Why the heck does the book not mention anything about making zope work with the web server?

        % Anonymous User - Oct. 6, 2002 4:43 pm:
         in suse 8.0 the script to run is

         /opt/zope/z2.py

        % Anonymous User - Oct. 6, 2002 5:42 pm:
         (sorry, to explain my comment). I mean, how to work with apache web server. I see the note below that it
         belongs in the administrator's guide. Well, guess what. That document seems to be no longer maintained and
         out of date.

        % Anonymous User - Nov. 8, 2002 3:12 am:
         I am on RedHat 6.2,Zope installed from rpm,
         starting zope script

         /etc/rc.d/init.d/zope [start|stop|restart|status]

        % Anonymous User - Nov. 21, 2002 1:17 am:
         FreeBSD-4.6:  Start Zope using the command:

         /usr/local/etc/rc.d/zope.sh start

         It's important to do it this way, as the FreeBSD port installs all the data files as owned by the user 'www',
         not 'nobody'. The zope.sh script above sets the user correctly, but the 'start' script by itself does not,
         and you'll get a cryptic error.

        % Anonymous User - Jan. 15, 2003 8:00 pm:
         I'm probably the only one running Zope on Debian-MIPS Linux (on an SGI Indy). In any case, the current .deb
         for my architecture seems to prefer using the command
         >zopectl start

         However, this command never returns, so my machine would hang on startup until I added an ampersand to the
         apropriate line in /etc/init.d/zope