[ZDP] Teaching Newbies ZPT

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp@weitershausen.de
Tue, 13 May 2003 21:26:35 +0200

Chris McDonough wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 12:18, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>>So, this might sound kind of radical, but couldn't we change the default
>>index_html from a DTML method to a Page Template? Furthermore, is there
>>any reason to still keep standard_html_header/footer around? I'm certain
>>that at least index_html as Page Template would change a lot in the
>>behaviour of newbies.
>
> I'm not all that keen on changing the stuff; it's not (yet) broke. ;-)

But would it break when we'd convert at least index_html to a Page Template

> However, if you feel strongly about it, I'd consider bringing it up on
> the Zope maillist and proposing it for Zope 2.8.

2.8? When's that gonna be? Before or after Zope3? *g*
Seriously, forgive my impatience, but do you think the feature plan for
2.7 is *that* tight?

>>Yes, I agree. People will install Zope and try to play around with it,
>>maybe even do the tutorial. And guess what, the tutorial is still
>>suggesting DTML. This is what I meant with checking the docs where they
>>still mention DTML...
>
> The tutorial was written before ZPT existed... it badly needs an
> update.  It hasn't been touched in years.  Unfortunately, it will only
> continue to rot until someone gets indignant enough to update it.
> Perhaps this can be proposed for Zope 2.8 as well?

It should be proposed, no question about that. But again, 2.8 is miles
away. Heck, it the "someone" is a problem, I volunteer to update the
tutorial. I won't take that much time.

Phil