[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.6 Edition)/Appendix C: Zope Page Templates Reference

webmaster at zope.org webmaster at zope.org
Sun Nov 2 08:34:20 EST 2003

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/AppendixC.stx#3-0

---------------

      The TAL namespace URI and recommended alias are currently defined
      as::

        xmlns:tal="http://xml.zope.org/namespaces/tal"

        % snell - Nov. 2, 2003 8:34 am:
         The first two paragraphs of The Zope Book seem to have been forgotten in the recent past.  They read:
         "Preface

         Welcome to The Zope Book. This book is designed to introduce you to Zope, the open source web application
         server.
         To make effective use of the book, you should know how to use a web browser and you should have a basic
         understanding of HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) and URLs (Uniform Resource Locators). You don't need to be
         a highly-skilled programmer in order to use Zope, but some programming background (particularly
         object-oriented programming) will be extremely helpful. "
         This statement calls for a return to that philosophy. TAL syntax basics are not explained in this document;
         therefore, the new student - who has been directed to that fact that TAL avoids many problems of dtml and,
         therefore, wants to learn it - finds it inaccessible.
         Two months into Zope I discovered an archive document which explained TAL syntax structure and would offer
         that here as a pointer. However, I cannot find it a second time!