[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.6 Edition)/Virtual Hosting Services

webmaster at zope.org webmaster at zope.org
Fri Feb 13 19:27:51 EST 2004

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/VirtualHosting.stx#1-1

---------------

    *SiteRoot*s are an artifact of an older generation of Zope virtual
    hosting services that are only retained in current Zope versions
    for backwards-compatibility purposes.  They are not documented in
    this book because they are somewhat "dangerous" for new users, as
    they have the capability of temporarily "locking you out" of your
    Zope instance if you configure them improperly.  Luckily, we have
    *Virtual Host Monsters*, which do everything that SiteRoots do and
    more without any of the dangerous side effects of SiteRoots.  If
    you want to do virtual hosting in Zope, you should almost
    certainly be using a *Virtual Host Monster*.

      % Anonymous User - Feb. 13, 2004 7:27 pm:
       Hint: The virtual host monster will become confused if you have a site-root object somewhere further up the
       heirarchy. I suggest that you eliminate all site-root objects from your system.