[Zope-ZEO] ZODB as a standalone server

Helge Hess helge.hess@skyrix.com
Thu, 07 Dec 2000 19:43:07 +0100

Hi,

does anybody know of any attempt/project which tries to use ZODB as a
general OODBMS server, where the client is not tied to Python ?
I think ZODB would be a great backend DB for a lot of other languages,
not just Python.

I think of sth like making ZODB a HTTP server which accepts XML queries
(and maybe even SOAP for method calls) and returns a stored object as an
XML document (primitive types inline, references as xlinks pointing to
the proper ZODB-URL).

If HTTP/XML would turn out to be too slow one could also invent a custom
protocol, but I'm not sure whether this is really necessary.

What do you think ?

Thanks
  Helge