[Zope-ZEO] AFS Open Source

Monty Taylor mtaylor@goldridge.net
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:39:06 +0100

Bjorn Stabell wrote:

> Coda is open source too, isn't it?  Why use AFS?  Also, for
> synchronizing product trees I find rsync or rdist are quite sufficient;
> at least then I can control when I want to synchronize them.

Well, Coda is still a bit green, whereas AFS has certainly been around the
bend a few times. Even the Coda people recommend not using Coda in
production yet.
On of the main reasons I'd use AFS or Coda rather than rsync/rdist is so
I could still use the products that insist on writing something to the
filesystem. (WorldPilot) AFS has a lot of other things going for it, but
you're right -- it is a bit of overkill for small installations.

> I wish it was the other way around: ZODB was available as a file system,
> so I could use a toolset of XML applications to interactively analyze or
> change it, from the command line. :)

I wholeheartedly agree. :)