[Zope-ZEO] How to get rid of the cPickle and asyncore dependency hassles

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Thu, 05 Oct 2000 16:13:22 -0400

Hi,

I'm sure many of you have lamented the hassle of having to make odd
symbolic links or copies when setting up ZEO to make sure you get the
right revision of cPickle and asyncore.

I'm considering introducing a new package, say ZopeSpecial
that contains special versions of modules for which
Zope, ZODB, or ZEO require revisions newer than those included
with Python.

Does anyone have any reaction to this? Alternate suggestions?

Here are some things to note:

  - cPickle can reliably be overwridden if it is given
    a different name or put in a package. This is because it
    is often a Python builtin module that can't be overridden
    by manipulating the Python path.

  - The asyncore module has mutable global data that is manipulated
    by various applications and modules. It's important that
    all users of asyncore use the *same* asyncore, or at least use the
    same global data.

Jim

repeats.