[Zope-ZEO] How to get rid of the cPickle and asyncore dependency hassles

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Fri, 06 Oct 2000 06:57:49 -0400

Toby Dickenson wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Oct 2000 16:13:22 -0400, Jim Fulton <jim@digicool.com>
> wrote:
>
> >... the right revision of cPickle and asyncore.
>
> Ive been using Zope only with Python 2.0 recently.

That's great to hear. I'm frankly a bit surprised that
this works. Did you have to make many changes to Zope?
I heard that ExtensionClass didn't work with Python 2.0.

> In this case the
> *right* revision is the one from Python, not Zope. It would be nice if
> the install scripts could check whether ZopeSpecial is needed.

If I make this change, then ZEO and other code
that needs newer features will need to explicitly
load ZopeSpecial. This means that the install needs to
build ZopeSpecial so that it uses the most up-to-date
versions. In general, our versions should be the most
up-to-date, although, for cPickle, the Python 2.0, the
Python 2.0 cPickle has unicode support that our Python1.5.2-based
cPickle doesn't.

(Hysterical note: the special features that ZEO wants from cPickle
were checked into the Python CVS a long time ago, shortly after
the release of 1.5.2. :)

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.