[Zope-ZEO] Advice

Andy McKay andym@ActiveState.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:31:20 -0700

> Packing doesn't totally halt the output from the DB. In fact, there is
> almost no interruption for packing.  Packing does consume CPU resources,
> so, for example, zope.org does tend to slow down a little when it's being
packed,
> but it is still available. You can, for example, continue to update
> the database while it's being packed.  ZEO lets you put the storage server
> on a different machine from the Zope application, so you can separate the
packing
> load from the machine that is serving your app.  You can perform expensive
operations
> like large imports or catalog updates on a separate machine from your
application,
> thus isolating the application from these tasks.

Really? I guess it could be because we are using ZServer, but we notice that
when packing the box does nothing else. Its a twin 600 mhz cpu with 1 gig of
RAM so I would be surprised if the machine is the problem. Umm I would be
curious to know why this is a problem. Our db is around 1.5 gigs at the
moment. We just got a CorruptedTransactionError as well which is cool :(