[Zope-ZEO] Advice

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:55:23 -0700

I'd like to take this thread in a different direction:

  http://subversion.tigris.org/

Subversion:

  o Is funded by Collab.net

  o Is a replacement for CVS

  o Is an implementation of WebDAV and Delta-V

  o Plans to be a C library approach (with working executables as well)

  o Is a project Greg Stein is working on heavily

  o Has funded plans for ange-ftp and EFS implementations

  o Is scheduled for the first sneak-peak release this month

So imagine a world where there is more functional than CVS, but has an
XML/HTTP, standard protocol view of the world.  *And* has more money and
developer support behind it.

Imagine then that Zope finishes WebDAV support, adds Delta-V support,
and specifically participates in Subversion development.  Then not only
do you get common tools that can store/retrieve information, you get the
workgroup semantics you're looking for.

At the same time, though, you get all the benefits that we're pushing
for "logic as content".  You can:

  o Apply rich security permission semantics

  o Have transactional updates (and undo)

  o Get workflow on your logic as well as data and presentation

  o Have integrated full-text/fielded searching of your logic

  o Best of all, make a change that is transactionally distributed
across ten servers in three locations (ZEO)

Obviously a lot of this is vapor, but much of the hard stuff is already
done.  Therefore, we know it is possible, and that's why we're sticking
to this vision of computing.

In the meantime, use the filesystem.  There's nothing preventing you
from doing so.

--Paul