[Zope-ZEO] Advice

Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:56:49 +0100

> I'd argue that there's not much difference (besides not being
> able to stream
> to a RESPONSE, as you've noted) between manually "testing"
> your methods in
> Zope via a browser and using Zope.debug programmatically.
> Both procedures
> exercise the same machinery.

It depends on what you are testing......

For many things the two are complementary.

Browsers are good at making the best out of malformed HTTP conversations.
Remember that Zope spent alot of its history incorrectly setting a
Until recently on of my products had a UTF-8 encoding bug that Internet
Explorer masked by guessing it was a latin-1 fragment.

The difficulty of automating browser-based tests is a problem. Somewhere I
do have a test harness that uses COM to automate Internet Explorer - loading
pages and checking the response. Its slower to execute, harder to maintain,
and doesnt run from an NT service