[ZODB-Dev] Pre-announce: Oscar 0.1

Christian Robottom Reis kiko@async.com.br
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 17:18:22 -0300 (BRT)

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 04:35:38PM -0300, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> >Oh, this _is_ a runtime typecheck? :)
>
> No, it's not; it's a run-once-a-day typecheck to catch errors not too
> long after they creep in.  If you wanted to experiment with doing it
> at runtime for every write, we'd be interested in seeing how it goes,
> but the code is likely too slow and heavyweight to make that
> practical.  (Still, that could easily be wrong...)

Well, my use isn't really typechecking on write, but rather using types to
implement my checks in UI-space. I'll exemplify:

I have a columned list widget that autosorts when the column title widget
is clicked. However, I need to know what sort of data will be in the
column beforehand, or else the column sort breaks. I use typedata manually
today to initialize the widget ( columns.enable_sort("",0,0.0) f.i.), so
I would like to introspect that.

Another use is implementing UI typechecking for form entries (without
touching the Database). I'd like to check what type should be in and
either catch on character inserted, or on form field activate (or focus
out).

So I guess the question is - can I at runtime query what types my
attributes should be?

There are a couple of other uses, but those are important ones to me. If
this could be hacked into Oscar, I'd volunteer the work back, and it's
rather urgent too.

Take care,