[ZODB-Dev] Pre-announce: Oscar 0.1

Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:54:06 -0400

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 12:15:54PM -0300, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
>Hmm. It is a bit clunky (the open database part definitely is!). Okay, so
>now let me ask you this: Don't _you_ do runtime typechecking of anything?
>How do you prevent 3vil things going into the database if no runtime
>checking is done? Oh, this _is_ how you do runtime checking?

We have objects sitting in a database that represent things of
interest to the business, and user-interface code on top of these
objects provides a Web interface.  By definition, any type mismatch found
by Grouch is a bug in our code, so it's OK if we only find out about
it in 24 hours; we can then ask what new code has gone up in the last
24 hours, and how could this type mismatch have happened?

Grouch doesn't attempt to remove the need for input validation, and it
seems at the wrong level to do that; users wouldn't find it very
friendly to get a ValueError traceback when they enter a string
instead of a number.

--amk