[ZODB-Dev] Pluggable transactions logic

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 07:19:26 +0100

"John D. Heintz" wrote:

> The Packless Berkeley storage (and maybe some near variations of Full) do
> maintain this information.  This is so that the database can do garbage
> collection for you; i.e. without you having to call pack() periodically.

Where can I read more about this? I've been looking for ages for a storage that
keeps _some_ undo information but that doesn't require packing on a regular
basis...

> If I remember the discussion well enough, the problem was related to using
> Transaction mechanisms to automagically unindex objects.  This particular use
> case is something that _could_ be moved into the core functionality of ZODB.

If it could be moved into the ZODb, then surely just a hook could be moved into
the ZODB so that the application could choose what to do uner these
circumstances?

> There are other types of functionality that could rely on when objects are
> removed from the DB that couldn't/shouldn't be coded directly into ZODB
> though.

What's the difference with these?

cheers,

Chris