[ZODB-Dev] Berkley DB and ZODB Distros

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:30:24 +0100

Hannu Krosing wrote:

> > Cool. As I hinted at in another post, I'm fuzzy on why it was felt there was a
> > need to involve an external database engine in Zope's soon-to-be prefered
> > storage? Is Berkley a RDMS? (sorry for my ignorance)
>
> Berkeley is the liftout of early PostgreSQL indexing code for doing
> things
> that don't need full RDBMS :)

Ah, okay :-)

> It is not a rdbms, but a fast system for getting a data by its key.

Interesting... what other sorts of indexing does it do? Might be interesting for
using in the Indexer I'm working on. Would it provide a lot of functionality
that ZCatalog uses or would I be better off using the BTrees stuff that Jim and
other worked on for ZCAtalog?

> > Are the reasons for the choice documented anywhere?
>
> I don't know about documenting, but to me it seems the best choice
> as it has just the right level of functionality, has lots of field
> testing (even Netscape browsers use it for storage ;) and good speed.

I'm nto gonna make any comments about Netscape browsers ;-) I guess the bit
which bugs me is it's something else I have to install. Are there any plans to
make ZODB (and Zope ;-) releases that include the necessary version of BerkleyDB
in the same way that they currently include the necessary version of Python?

cheers,

Chris