[ZODB-Dev] Berkley DB and ZODB Distros

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:42:16 -0400

    CW> Are there any plans to make ZODB (and Zope ;-) releases that
    CW> include the necessary version of BerkleyDB in the same way
    CW> that they currently include the necessary version of Python?

Probably not with StandaloneZODB, and I'm not sure about Zope.  There
are licensing issues that you may have to research if you're bundling
ZODB+Berkeley into a commercial package.  See www.sleepycat.com for
details.  (I believe the license allows us to freely redistribute it
since we're giving away the source code.)

Note that you'll /also/ have to install PyBSDDB3 which is an updated
wrapper around the Berkeley library.  It is currently not distributed
with Python, although once it's updated to support the BerkeleyDB 3.3
API, I think we should consider that.  The Windows distro of PyBSDDB3
includes the BerkeleyDB DLLs, but for Unix systems, you need to grab
both and install them (it's not that hard, really).

pybsddb.sourceforge.net

-Barry