[ZODB-Dev] Re: ZCatalog outside of Zope

Jeff Sasmor jsasmor@gte.net
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 10:09:35 -0500

I managed to sucessfully remove ZCatalog from Zope
and am using it in a project I am creating now, using
ZODB (from amk's distr.) and Catalog, scunned out
of the Zope sources and modified not to need
Zope.

Actually, it isn't that difficult. There are a number of
forms that made no sense in my environment (using
ZODB and Catalog with wxPython), so I had to
create forms in wxPy to view indices and so on;
but one can still create the indices and metadata
quite effortlessly; the work was much less 'pulling'
Catalog out of Zope but much more recreating the
forms that let you use it, and the classes have to
know to index their data and so on (I didn't
use CatalogAware mixin as it interfered with
other things I was trying to do).

I recall (I did this work last May) that the only
tricky part was making the .c files that are part
of the spiltters, etc.

If someone is really interested in using this, please contact
me at the addr in my sig line below.  It is not in a form
that anyone can install, but I could zip up the pieces
for just the catalog and send them precompiled (for the
stuff that was in C) for win2K.

BTW, is anyone on this list interested in
having a BOF or just a meeting over dinner/beer
at Python 10 in Feb?

Jeff Sasmor
jeff@sasmor.com
www.netkook.com is an "open Zope CMF site"