[ZODB-Dev] Storage Benchmarks

Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:23:14 +0000

Ive recently been performing some benchmarks and systems tests comparing
FileStorage (the usual version and Jim's fsIndex branch) against Berkeley
Full and Packless.

Full details are at:
http://www.zope.org/Members/htrd/benchmarks/storages

A summary of the highlights:

* Storage choice had little impact on overall system throughput
Specifically, I didnt see the performance problems that Chris W reported
(although my databases are somewhat smaller).

* Jim's fsIndex branch to FileStorage was the suprise high-performer. It has
the lowest memory usage of all storages tested.

* All three BerkeleyStorage implementations have very high memory
requirements for packing: higher than FileStorage. Im not convinced that
these current implementations deserve their 'high scalability' reputation.

Im most familiar with BerkeleyStorage Full, where the memory usage issues
come from using a python dictionary with one element per object in the
database.... obviously not a scalable strategy.

I am suprised that I had not heard about this limitation before..... Does
anyone with a 'large' BerkeleyStorage know how much memory it uses when
packing?