[ZODB-Dev] Storage Benchmarks

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:00:31 -0500

    >> I am suprised that I had not heard about this limitation
    >> before..... Does anyone with a 'large' BerkeleyStorage know how
    >> much memory it uses when packing?

    CW> I've never managed to successfully pack a large BerkleyStorage
    CW> ;-)

Because of the memory usage?

Here's a thought: instead of storing the packablerevs in a Python
dictionary, we could use a separate (temporary) Berkeley table that's
/only/ used for packing.  We already acquire a pack-lock to prevent
two threads from packing at the same time, so this would protect the
pack database as well.

It might not be any faster, but it ought to be much more memory
friendly.

-Barry