[ZODB-Dev] Storage Benchmarks

Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:40:57 -0800

On a related note, anybody have any feelings on the stability of the fsIndex
branch?  I'm really tempted to use this given I have a process that consumes
several hundred MB on a big transaction adding and indexing ~330,000 objects
to a BTreeFolder, though I'm not sure whether or not the current 22bytes per
object in the index is that big of a deal (my ZODB has 1,072,082 objects
between this folder and the Catalog I am using)...  If this buys me
something (significantly less RAM usage, better performance, better Zope/ZSS
restart times), I'll check it out of CVS (I'm using Zope 2.4.2 at the
moment). Thoughts?

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Toby Dickenson [mailto:tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com]
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 6:23 AM
To: zodb-dev@zope.org
Subject: [ZODB-Dev] Storage Benchmarks

Ive recently been performing some benchmarks and systems tests comparing
FileStorage (the usual version and Jim's fsIndex branch) against Berkeley
Full and Packless.

Full details are at:
http://www.zope.org/Members/htrd/benchmarks/storages

A summary of the highlights:

* Storage choice had little impact on overall system throughput
Specifically, I didnt see the performance problems that Chris W reported
(although my databases are somewhat smaller).

* Jim's fsIndex branch to FileStorage was the suprise high-performer. It has

the lowest memory usage of all storages tested.

* All three BerkeleyStorage implementations have very high memory
requirements for packing: higher than FileStorage. Im not convinced that
these current implementations deserve their 'high scalability' reputation.

Im most familiar with BerkeleyStorage Full, where the memory usage issues
come from using a python dictionary with one element per object in the
database.... obviously not a scalable strategy.

I am suprised that I had not heard about this limitation before..... Does
anyone with a 'large' BerkeleyStorage know how much memory it uses when
packing?