[ZODB-Dev] BTrees questions

Wed, 19 Dec 2001 10:32:29 +0000

Ive had a long-standing worry about the current BTree
implemententation. I would be much happier if anyone could point out
why I shouldnt be worried.....

The current object-keyed trees sort their keys using PyObject_Compare,
however the python language reference defines that the relative sort
order of different types (say int and string) may change across
different runs of the same program. Does this mean that persistent
BTrees with type keys are relying on undefined behaviour?

I think python 2.2 is the first time this sort order has actually
changed, so this is no longer an ignoreable theoretical problem.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com