[ZODB-Dev] Confusion about persistent dictionaries / lists

Jeff Sasmor jeff@janix.com
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 15:22:24 -0400

I hope I'm not asking for a repeat of something
already discussed on this list, I did scan thru
a few months of the archives -- I guess I am spoiled
by the excellent archives on NIP's system!

Anyway, I am starting a non-Zope project using
ZODB, and having run thru the simple examples,
have run up to something confusing (prob the
first of many).

In several postings to this list and in various
docs such as AMK's ZODB guide, one sees
references to PersistentMapping and
PersistentList.

I can see what these do, and I understand
(I think!) why you'd use them.

What I don't get (and I am relatively new to
Python programming outside of Zope)
is why they aren't needed when writing
Python classes within Zope.

For example, in one Zope product I recently
finished (Blark weblog) I used lots of
(ordinary) lists and dictionaries and they
seem to go in and out of the ZODB with
no problem even though I don't use Perisistent
List or Mapping.

I assume that there is some magical Zope/Python
magic going on here, but what am I missing for
true enlightenment???

Jeff Sasmor
jeff@sasmor.com
www.netkook.com is an "open Zope CMF site"