[ZODB-Dev] zeo installation observation, questions

Simon Michael simon@joyful.com
13 Jul 2001 02:17:53 -0700

Hi zopistas,

I got ZEO set up today to facilitate debugging & testing (yay).  It
was pretty hard. To anyone wanting to set up ZEO at this point in
time: I would recommend you use the latest ZEO out of CVS and ignore
all docs except for Dave Shaw's how-to, which was a life-saver.

  http://www.zope.org/Members/dshaw/AdvancedSiteSetup

Thanks!

Now the question. I did this so that I could run CMF-style unit tests,
which if I understand correctly are intended to be run in a separate
ZEO client which is started by the run_all_tests script.  However, I
find that tests are hanging, due to the standard setUp method calling
Zope.app(), which hangs after about seven calls. When I call
Zope.app() myself in debug mode it gives me a new instance each time
which was not what I expected - should it do that ?  I am running zope
2.3.3 rather than zope-cvs, might that be the problem ?

A secondary question - it seems as if it should be quite possible to
get a python prompt into a single live zope/zserver instance, without
needing a full zeo setup. I can't quite figure it out if this is
doable or not. Any thoughts ?

-Simon