[ZODB-Dev] ZEO features

Elliot Lee sopwith@redhat.com
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 15:12:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> ZEO supports a fairly specific interface for updating data as part of
> a two-phase commit.  I don't think it would make sense to extend it to
> support remote method invocation.  Instead, I would develop another
> service that support remote method invocation and is itself a ZEO
> client.  This service could well be a CORBA ORB.

Well, CORBA definitely won't work for the task for plenty of reasons. The
reason I wanted to add remote methods to ZEO is because it would allow
full transparent access to the objects, being able to invoke methods and
change data on the same object and have it all work correctly. I see that
as being very valuable.

So, I'm not asking you to like my design (nor accept all patches) as much
as I'm asking what the implementation problems might be.

-- Elliot
Your freedom to change my source code does not translate into my
responsibility to foist your changes upon users at large.