[ZODB-Dev] Transactions across multiple REQUESTs

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:09:17 +0200

> What I think would be nice is to have separate transaction "spaces" for
> lack of a better word. In non-Web applications, it's customary to have
> tabbed dialogs in which each tab can have separate data objects being
> manipulated. It's nice to have switches between tabs not abort the current
> transaction, but it's impossible to do so now without behaving very
> unpredictably (to say, abort with one tab active causes all tab data to
> revert).
>
> I'm quite sure this could happen on a Web app with a similar setup and a
> persistent transaction state.

...I think I'm rephrasing what you're saying, but I'm wondering if it would
be cool if you could have transactions that live across multiple REQUESTs(in
a Zope context)?

I know you can get this effect already with sessions, but I wonder if it
could be made more transparent if sessions (maybe CST?) actually used open
transactions. Then, you would have to explicitly copy lots of object if you
want to have them modified TTW in the 'tabbed' way Christian described, you
could just work with the 'real' objects and have the transaction manager
take care of it all.

cheers,

Chris