[ZODB-Dev] ZEO features

Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:30:27 -0400

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 12:29:17PM -0300, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
>The text is quite interesting, and I'm amused as how similar your approach
>to creating Database objects is to our Catalogs (we even have something
>like your opendb script to help debugging). We are, however, implementing
>indexing and queries into our Catalogs, and now from reading your text
>wonder if you'd like to use it (and perhaps discuss the implementation).

Indexing is something we're probably need more and more, but don't need

>Is the MEMS code publically available?

No.  The ZODB-relevant bits of it have been checked into my CVS tree
in the contrib directory, but they're not documented, and won't work
without changing some imports around.  See
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/zodb/zodb/contrib/ to
browse around.  I suspect most projects that use ZODB for storage will
end up reinventing similar ideas, so my long-term goal is to get more
people to try using this code, and perhaps then see about getting it
incorporated into ZODB+ZEO.

>(Offtopic question: how to you get __str__ output of the User class to
>include the username? I've noticed the <User at ########:username> print
>there)

The MXBase class in base.py class defines a repr().  User objects have
a .user_id attribute, in addition to being stored in a BTree using
their ID as the key.  This means the data isn't normalized, but we
don't care about that.

--amk