[ZODB-Dev] Newbe ZODB questions

Christian Robottom Reis kiko@async.com.br
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 18:05:37 -0300 (BRT)

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Patrick Down wrote:

> initial development it has become slow for larger files sizes.  I am looking
> at ZODB as a replacement solution for my document storage.  However I have a
> couple of questions:

You should; it's simple, fast and stable.

> 1. I see multiple storages talked about in the documentation but it is
> unclear if they are implemented.  My application has two separate object

Multiple storages meaning multiple storage `drivers' -- you can store
objects in a file database, a bsddb database, and an Oracle database for
now. All these are provided in the StandaloneZODB package.

> hierarchies stored in two separate files.  One represents a set of
> "templates" and the other the "document".  Subsections of the template
> hierarchy are deep copied to the document hierarchy and then modified.  Does
> ZODB support having more than one storage open?  How would I associate
> persistent objects with one or the other?

For your application you could just go ahead and use a single storage
connection. If you need to use two connections to two separate storages,
however, I believe you'll need to use two threads (as get_transaction() is
a builtin and doesn't specify one or the other). Am I wrong, ZODB ninjas?

> well in a situation like this?  I also have seen discussion that the
> FileStorage grows with every write and needs to be periodically
> compressed.  Is this true?

Yep, just pack it periodically. No big deal.

Take care,
--
/\/\ Christian Reis, Senior Engineer, Async Open Source, Brazil
~\/~ http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 274 4311