[ZODB-Dev] Re: Article on ZODB Programming

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:52:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 aahz@panix.com wrote:

> > I've written the first in a series of articles on the Zope Object
> > Database (ZODB).  These articles show you how you can use ZODB in your
> > python programs to save your objects in a database transparently.
> >
> > This article does not require any use of Zope, but installing Zope is the
> > easiest way to get ZODB.  If your interested in an interesting,
> > object-oriented alternative to relational database, you should check this
> > out:
> >
> > http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Articles/ZODB1
>
> Looks pretty good based on the bit I've seen.  I don't have ZODB
> installed, so I can't try it out, but I do have a question.  Several
> times, you use the following command
>
>       >>> get_transaction().commit()
>
> but unless you're playing funky games, I don't see how get_transaction()
> ends up in the interpreter global namespace.

I don't know the why of it, but the function get_transaction is stuffed
into the global namespace by ZODB when it is imported.  I'm cc:ing the
zodb-dev list to see if anyone knows why.

-Michel