[ZODB-Dev] OQL in ZODB

Christian Robottom Reis kiko@async.com.br
Tue, 15 May 2001 23:10:06 -0300 (BRT)

I've been starting to look into ZODB now, and since one of the
long-postponed TODO items is OQL, i'm starting to wonder about it.

I would like to know what the main issues are. AFAICS the main issue is
the fact that we store data pickled, whereas if queries would be allowed,
we'd need to provide for structured storage.

This would lead to having some sort of structured store; bsddb3 seems like
it could be used in this fashion, as would a RDBMS backend.

However, I don't have a clear view of how this would map into the
programming language - would OQL return sets? And what sort of impact
would it have on existing codes than maintained indexes as a side-effect
of no OQL existing today?

Well, anyone caring to comment is very much welcome (and I, much obliged)

Take care,
--
/\/\ Christian Reis, Senior Engineer, Async Open Source, Brazil
~\/~ http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 274 4311