[ZODB-Dev] ZODB and ORBit-Python problems

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 10:59:09 -0400

Christian Robottom Reis wrote:

> On Sat, 19 May 2001, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
> > Note that an object may be in the cache, but be a ghost, meaning that
> > it contains no state.
>
> First of all, thanks for the help you've been providing; it's really
> gotten me thinking deeply about the matter of persistence and eficiency.
>
> When in ghost state, when the object lacks state, does this mean all
> instance information is persisted, and thus, memory for it freed?

Yes. An object cannot become a ghost unless either it's state has been
changed or is known to be invalid. The state can be invalid because it's
stale, meaning that some other thread or process has committed newer data,
or because the state was modified in a transaction that was subsequently
aborted.

Jim