[ZODB-Dev] ZODB and ORBit-Python problems

Christian Robottom Reis kiko@async.com.br
Mon, 21 May 2001 12:10:19 -0300 (BRT)

On Sat, 19 May 2001, Jim Fulton wrote:

> Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 18 May 2001, Jim Fulton wrote:
> >
> > This makes perfect sense. However, at times, an application has to do
> > things both ways: use objects interactively with it's interface, loading
> > and using objects as needed; and generate summaries from information
> > contained in a series of objects.
>
> I don't think I understand you. I don't see what the above had to do
> with loading *all* the objects from the database.

Sorry for being imprecise. I don't mean, necessarily, _all_ objects in the
database; let's assume I have a collection of objects representing
Sales (textbook example) that reference Employee objects. If I want to
summarize how much employees sold, I either have to keep an autocalculated
attribute, or generate a summary, in which case I _must_ load all objects
from the database, and calculate the totals. So while sales are generates
individually, summaries have to load all of them.

Following up on the last reply (since the matters are connected), I wonder
when (if?) memory will be freed for them in time, and if there is
something that can be done to let ZODB know we won't be needing it
in-memory for the moment.

Take care,
--
/\/\ Christian Reis, Senior Engineer, Async Open Source, Brazil
~\/~ http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 274 4311