[ZODB-Dev] Auditing/logging of changes to objects

Emile emile@fenx.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 15:35:02 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_00ED_01C0E20B.9A0E4D00

Hello All,
=20
In the 'Far-out ideas' section of the current TODO list I found:
=20
* Auditing/logging of changes to objects (not sure what this entails)

I had been looking at ZODB and ZEO as a platform on which to overlay a =
concept I've had that sounds like it may be similar in intent to this.  =
I'm planning on breaking some time free over the course of the next =
several months to pursue this further, and would appreciate feedback, =
pointers, and expansion on what and where this idea leads to from those =
who have suggested it. =20

Nicles, the project I planned that originally drew me to Python, =
combines in a distributed environment aspects of temporal database =
thinking, and ideas like what Zope calls acquisition (I thought of it as =
data inheritance).  The concept grew from my experiences with the =
shortcomings of most back-office accounting systems I'd written or =
worked with. =20

At the core, a nicle is a time-stamped object attribute that is =
evaluated in the context of user set parameters.  This allows for =
browsing of objects to see how they previously looked, or scrolling =
forward in time to see how they will look in the future.  Ultimately, =
this leads to being able to view a dataset per any point in time as seen =
from any point in time, and provide rollforwards (_diffs_) to account =
for the differences. =20

If this is in the direction the "far_out idea" was headed, I'd like to =
hear more thoughts.  I didn't find anything in the archives related to =
logging or auditing that helped explain the TODO item.

See you,

Emile van Sebille
emile@fenx.com

------=_NextPart_000_00ED_01C0E20B.9A0E4D00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello All,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In the 'Far-out ideas' section of the =
current TODO=20
list I found:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>* Auditing/logging of changes to =
objects (not sure=20
what this entails)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I had been looking at ZODB and ZEO as a =
platform on=20
which to overlay a concept I've had that sounds like it may be similar =
in intent=20
to this.&nbsp; I'm planning on breaking some time free&nbsp;over the =
course of=20
the next several months to pursue this further, and would appreciate =
feedback,=20
pointers, and expansion on what and where this idea leads to from those =
who have=20
suggested it.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Nicles, the project I planned that =
originally drew=20
me to Python, combines in a distributed environment aspects of temporal =
database=20
thinking, and ideas like what Zope calls acquisition (I thought of it as =
data=20
<SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; =
mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; =
mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: =
AR-SA">inheritance</SPAN>).&nbsp;=20
The concept grew from my experiences with the shortcomings of most =
back-office=20
accounting systems I'd written or worked with.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>At the core, a nicle is a time-stamped =
object=20
attribute that is evaluated in the context of user set parameters.&nbsp; =
This=20
allows for browsing of objects to see how they previously looked, or =
scrolling=20
forward in time to see how they will look in the future.&nbsp; =
Ultimately, this=20
leads to being able to view a dataset per any point in time as seen from =
any=20
point in time, and provide rollforwards (_diffs_) to account for the=20
differences.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If this is in the direction the =
"far_out idea" was=20
headed, I'd like to hear more thoughts.&nbsp; I didn't find anything in =
the=20
archives related to logging or auditing that helped explain the TODO=20
item.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>See you,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Emile van Sebille</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:emile@fenx.com">emile@fenx.com</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>